village people...

i now have a new favorite place in ukraine. it's a national park called
Pyrohovo Village
("the museum of folk architecture").
they call it an "open air museum" because it literally is acres upon acres of orgininal structures from ukrainian villages.


<span class=



<span class=

in the 70's they decided to go all over ukraine "collecting" churches, houses, school houses, windmills, etc. they were able to take them apart, ship them to this park, and reconstruct them. over 200 structures in all, and all of them hundreds of years old.

<span class=


<span class=


our good friend, natasha, came along with her 4 year old son, seva.
<span class=


<span class=


<span class=

we seriously walked for hours and hours and i never got bored at what i saw...
<span class=


<span class=


<span class=


this church was our favorite! tall, lean and lime green!
<span class=


<span class=


they even had "villagers" walking around the park, dressed in traditional ukrainian attire.
<span class=


<span class=


<span class=

Pyrohovo, thanks for showing me all you had. i can't wait to see you again.

4 comments:

  Stacie S-H

11:37 AM

AMAZING pictures. Makes me want to go there!

  Hilary and Brian

1:50 PM

next time you two go, WE ARE COMING WITH YOU!!! p.s. the other day i remembered the night that we ate pizza at like 1 in the morning and illya was so kind to keep handing me some nice liquids! miss you guys sooo much!

  Piter and Heidi

6:18 AM

This looks like an awesome place to go...I don't think I'll ever make it there since next time I go Piter wants to take me to Odessa or Yalta...Thanks for sharing the pictures and fun with us!!! Love you!

  Paxton

6:15 PM

I thought I had already commented... apparently I hadn't. Maybe I was waiting to see if you would ever post again...
ANYWAY
I LOVE the pictures! Seriously! They make me want to pull a Mary Poppins and hop right in!
I hope your new job is going well. You have to pick a weekend in March to come up and visit. I really want to go to a "stations of the cross" with you. they are so cool! and they happen every friday night.
aside from that, mak's bday is march 14, but we are having her party on the 13 (saturday) so jordan's mom can make it... you guys too? I will be sending out the invites next week sometime.
love you, miss you, can't wait to see you again! you would be so surprised at how much the kids have grown!